Modifying Attitudes and Behaviors in Addiction Treatment
Beds Available Today.
Behavioral therapies have been shown to be very beneficial in the treatment of many types of drug and alcohol addictions. At Nova Recovery Center, we actively use several different types of behavioral therapies throughout drug rehab to help clients identify and change self-destructive behaviors related to their substance abuse.
The focus of behavioral therapy is on current problems and solutions and the primary goals in drug and alcohol rehab are to:
- Modify the client’s attitudes about drug and alcohol abuse
- Replace the client’s unhealthy behaviors with healthy ones
- Encourage the client to engage and continue treatment on a long-term basis
- Enhance and improve life skills
Types of Behavioral Therapies We Use
We use a number of evidence-based behavior therapies in all aspects of addiction treatment. These include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – This type of therapy is used to adjust the way a person feels by modifying attitudes and behaviors in regards to substance abuse. At Nova, clients work with clinical counselors to explore the positive and negative consequences of drug and alcohol use, develop coping strategies, identify high-risk situations, and more.
- Contingency Management – Contingency management uses positive reinforcement to change behaviors. It is founded on the principle that if a positive behavior is rewarded, it is more likely to be repeated in the future. Examples of rewards for positive behaviors in drug and alcohol rehab include day passes with family members or extra recreational activities.
- 12-Step Facilitation Therapy – This type of therapy encourages active engagement in a 12-step recovery group. The primary purpose of 12-step facilitation therapy is to promote long-term sobriety with peer engagement. The three key ideas of this approach are acceptance, surrender, and active involvement.
- Family Behavior Therapy – Family behavior therapy is effective in treating substance abuse in addition to coexisting issues, such as family conflict and depression. At Nova, clients work together with a clinical counselor and their family members to reduce the harm of addiction and substance abuse on the family unit and to improve the home environment in a way that promotes abstinence.
- Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy – Rational emotive behavioral therapy is used to help clients identify self-defeating, unhealthy thoughts, consider the validity of those thoughts, and then learn to replace them with healthier ones. As a result, clients learn how to manage negative emotions, modify their thought processes, and develop healthier relationships with others.
Treatment Groups at Nova
The Daring Way™ – The Daring Way™ curriculum, developed by Brene Brown, Ph.D., LMSW, is designed to help clients address maladaptive patterns of behavior associated with shame and vulnerability that create difficulties in their relationships and lives. The entire curriculum is 12 modules so clients complete one module per week. Nova is proud to have three certified Daring Way™ facilitators on staff.
Awareness Group – A recovery-based group designed with high accountability. Clients identify behaviors and have the opportunity to understand how their attitudes and actions affect their families and friends. In addition, clients analyze how these continued behaviors affect their recovery community members. Once identified, clients make commitments to change their behaviors and ask the group to hold them accountable. Awareness groups at Nova are facilitated by recovery specialists.
Process Group – Groups typically include ten to eleven individuals who may be dealing with similar issues. Though their stories differ, they share a common goal: to learn to listen and identify with others in a safe environment. Additionally, there is a range of issues that can be negotiated within a group context that might take longer in individual counseling. Process groups at Nova are facilitated by clinical counselors.
Benefits of Behavioral Therapy in Addiction Treatment
- Provides incentives for maintaining abstinence
- Modifies negative behaviors and attitudes
- Improves life skills
- Enhances ability to handle stressful situations and triggers
- Gender-specific treatment
- Evidenced-based treatment
- 12-Step immersion
- 90-day residential treatment
- Family program
- Full continuum of care
- Insurance and private pay
100% Confidential Guarantee
Nova Recovery Center is dedicated to helping you or your loved one get help. Please call or fill out this form for a confidential consultation. One of our understanding, dedicated advisors will contact you about your options. Begin healing today.