Table of Contents
The process of addiction recovery can be a challenging one, but there are many things that you can do to make it easier on yourself. In this article, we will share 30 helpful tips for addiction recovery that you probably didn’t know. These tips come from our team of experts at our drug rehab center in Austin, Texas, and they are sure to help you in your journey to sobriety.
If you are struggling with an addiction, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our team at Nova Recovery can help you get on the road to sobriety. Contact us today to learn more about our program and how we can help you achieve your goals.
Before and During Rehab
1. Surround yourself with supportive people who will encourage your addiction recovery.
2. Take it one day at a time and focus on making progress each day.
3. Make healthy lifestyle changes such as eating well, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly.
4. Practice mindfulness and meditation to help calm your mind and reduce stress.
5. Join a support group to connect with others who are going through the same thing.
6. Keep a journal to track your progress and express your thoughts and feelings.
7. Avoid triggers such as people, places, and situations that may lead to relapse.
8. Learn stress management techniques such as deep breathing, yoga, or tai chi.
While in Addiction Recovery
9. Don’t be afraid to seek professional help again if you find your resolve is shaking. There is absolutely no shame in seeking help when you need it.
10. Find a hobby or activity you enjoy to fill your time and keep your mind occupied.
11. Set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate your progress. Start with small daily or even hourly goals; whatever it takes to keep yourself proactive and motivated.
12. Stay accountable by keeping a schedule and sticking to it.
13. Take care of your physical health by going to regular check-ups and taking any medication as prescribed.
14. Practice self-care by taking time for yourself and doing things that make you happy.
15. Consider therapy to help address underlying issues that may have contributed to your addiction.
16. Practice forgiveness toward yourself and others to help alleviate feelings of shame and guilt.
17. Create a daily routine to establish structure and stability in your life.
18. Read books and articles about addiction and recovery to educate yourself and stay focused on your goals.
19. Make a plan for how to handle cravings and urges to use drugs or alcohol.
20. Find healthy ways to cope with stress and emotions such as journaling, talking to a friend, or engaging in creative activities.
21. Attend sober events and activities to connect with other sober individuals and have fun without drugs or alcohol.
22. Practice gratitude by focusing on the positive things in your life and expressing appreciation for them.
23. Avoid making major life changes or decisions during early addiction recovery when you may be more vulnerable to relapse.
24. Explore alternative therapies such as acupuncture, massage, or art therapy to help reduce stress and promote relaxation.
Long-Term Success in Recovery
25. Be patient with yourself and don’t expect perfection – recovery is a process and it takes time.
26. Stay sober one day at a time and remind yourself of the benefits of sobriety.
27. Let go of shame and guilt and focus on moving forward toward a healthier life.
28. Stay connected with loved ones and build a support network of people who you can turn to for help and encouragement.
29. Take responsibility for your actions and make amends with anyone you may have hurt during your addiction.
30. Believe in yourself and your ability to overcome addiction – recovery is possible with the right mindset and support.
Recovery With Nova
At Nova Recovery Center, Houston we provide our patients with a very comfortable detox process, where medical professionals provide monitoring and care around the clock. You will be provided with all the medications you need to combat the withdrawal symptoms. You will then be enrolled in the in-patient recovery program where you’ll learn to stay away from drugs, through counseling, group therapy, and so on.
Nova Recovery Center commits to helping you overcome your addiction so you can get back to what is most important to you. If you or someone you know are struggling with addiction, Nova Recovery Center can provide support. We have locations in Austin, Houston, and Wimberley Texas. Call today to begin your journey in recovery at (888) 428-1501.